Music festival worker killed in fork-lift truck accident
Surround Festival poster
The festival which was due to take place on Saturday has been cancelled
A man has been killed in an incident involving a fork-lift truck while preparing for a music festival in Gloucestershire.
The 33-year-old died while working at Sallywood Farm, Horsley, on Thursday.
Gloucestershire Police said officers, fire crews and the ambulance service were called to the site near Nailsworth just before midday.
The Surround Festival was due to take place on Saturday but has now been cancelled by organisers.
The festival had a capacity of 500 people per day and had recently tweeted only 50 tickets remained unsold.
The incident is being treated as an industrial accident and investigated jointly by police, Stroud District Council and the Health and Safety Executive.
A police spokesman said he did not know whether the man had been driving the fork-lift truck at the time.
A statement on the festival’s website said the “exceptionally unfortunate accident” involved “someone highly experienced in their role, operating equipment they were fully trained to use”.
A festival spokesman said: “It is with great sadness that we have to announce Surround Festival 2014 will be cancelled.
“There was a tragic incident and this has resulted in one of the team members we were working alongside passing away.
“Our thoughts are with their friends and family at this difficult time, and we are working closely with local authorities.”
The spokesman added they intend to make refunds to people who had bought tickets for the festival